The Honorable Ms. Andrea Staude,
Mayor of the District of Torgau,
and its citizens
invite you to join them
Friday, April 29 to Sunday, May 1, 2011 to celebrate Elbefest 2011
April 25, 1945
This ELBE DAY will celebrate the 66th Anniversary of the meeting of the Soviet 58th Guard Division with the American 69th Infantry Division on April 25, 1945.
Come to Torgau, Germany, Friday, April 29 to Sunday, May 1, 2011 to celebrate Elbefest 2001. Events will include reenactments, forums, discussions, music of all kinds, and a good time by all.
Torgau´s name derives from old Slavonic "Torgov". Its records reach back to the year 973 A.D. The city is a treasure trove of ancient and modern history, including:
- The Saxon Elector´s residence (Ernestine branch)
- Numerous locations where Protestant Reformer Martin Luther labored
- Sites explaining why Torgau is called "Little Potsdam"
- The Palace of Hartenfels
- St Mary´s Church
- Kenntmann House
- Franciscan Friary
(established in 1243)
- Market Square
- The house where Katherina Luther died
- The site of the historic link-up of the American 69th Infantry Division and the Soviet 58th Guards Division on April 25, 1945; and event that hastened the close of World War II and the defeat of the Nazi regime just two weeks later on May 8, 1945 — VE Day.
- American and Soviet monuments to the East Meets West link-up of April 25, 1945.
American 69th & Russian 58th Locked Arm-in-Arm in Torgau, April 1945
American monument to the Link-Up
Soviet monument to the Link-Up
American 69th Infantry Division Link-Up Situation Map
We welcome you to visit the 69th Infantry Division Association website
to learn more about the American 69th Infantry Division and the
Russian 58th Guards and their roles in helping end World War II.
Go back to The 69th Infantry Division Home Page
For more information as to hotel reservations in Torgau or nearby, and transportation, please call, fax or email:
Mr. Rene Vetter
Office of the Mayor
City of Torgau
03421 748-110 telephone*
03421 748-102 fax*
* if dialing from the USA add the prefix 01149
Torgau, Germany at war
Torgau Old City today
St. Mary's City Church, Torgau, Germany
Palace Church, Torgau, Germany
Katarina Luther, wife of Protestant Reformer Martin Luther, grave plate, Torgau, Germany
Site support by Leader Technologies® — provider of Leader Phone® audio conferencing and teleconferencing services.